From: A forum for critical and radical geographers on behalf of Tariq Jazeel
Sent: Wed 11/01/2012 17:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 'Speculative Life' on Social Text website

Dear All

List members may be interested in the new dossier on ‘Speculative Life’ (eds. Jayna Brown and Alexis Lothian) recently published on the Social Text website. An extract from the intro is pasted below:

“In our dystopian present, the term speculation is associated with an epistemology of greed, a sanctioned terrorism, and new dimensions of imperialism based in the domination of abstract futures. But speculation means something else for those who refuse to give its logic over to power and profit. The contributors to this Periscope dossier investigate the playful, inventive, and engaging acts of speculative imagination, even as they critique the erasures, exclusions, and failures of speculative cultural production.
With contributions from Jayna Brown, Alexis Lothian, Moya Bailey, Tamara Ho, Alex Weheliye, Tavia Nyong'o, Elizabeth Turgeon, Andrea Hairston, and an interview with China Miéville. Co-edited by Jayna Brown and Alexis Lothian.”

Full access:
http://www.socialtextjournal.org/periscope/speculative-life/

Happy new year!

--