I think the explanation is this:
The source is natural viral RNA which is a mixture of naturally mutated sequences (e.g. flu forms such a quasispecies)
See:
http://www.virology.ws/2009/05/11/the-quasispecies-concept/

The pooled RNA has an average sequence that you see when you sequence the pooled cDNA (individual mutations are hidden by the averaging effect of having many sequences present).

But when you clonally separate DNA molecules by transformation (1 plasmid enters 1 cell to yield 1 colony), you see each individual molecule represented 100% in the sequencing chromatogram from the plasmid DNA that you have isolated from colonies.

This is effect is commonly observed when sequencing influenza virus isolates from patients. It will have nothing to do with the E. coli strain. You can avoid it completely by using gene synthesis.

Darren