I've used the beta-alanine buffer system to use native PAGE for a protein with a pI>10. I used an old Phast system (sadly since deceased in a puff of smoke) for screening for heavy-atom derivatives in a buffer-free system. Hopefully this might provide some useful hints. Sorry about the big attachment but the old Pharmacia/Amersham technical notes are not easy to come across.

On an related note... is anyone aware of a bufferless system for doing NATIVE PAGE? There are a few cassette systems (eg E-PAGE from invitrogen) that do SDS PAGE but none to my knowledge that do native PAGE. Not often needed, but useful to have!

cheers

Shaun