From: Jamie McKendrick <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Jan 17, 2012 9:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Chris Hamilton Emery on the elusive nature of a “poetry establishment”

I can't argue with your experience in the US though I'd think that Oppen and Spicer had quite a following, over here as well. Personally I find the work of all four poets you mentioned of interest but I really can't say who's read what in whichever circles. My impression is that most living poets are fairly 'invisible' to the culture at large. I understand that you are speaking 'broadly' but I don't recognize your distinction: in the mainstream "the interest seems to be in telling a story the end of which is already known, as opposed to the non-mainstream approach of discovering as we go". I really don't - and am not just being contentious. Without some heuristic element in the writing I just can't see that the poem will have a claim on anyone's attention. On the other hand as far back as we can see poems have used narrative elements - they can be found in 'They flee from me that sometime did me seek' to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. It's not necessarily what you're saying but one of the most re-iterated dismissals of the mainstream is that it's "largely anecdotal". Of course there are poems which fit that description, but in general it seems to me an inadequate and unconsidered description of a very varied body of work. Perhaps embarrassment should be felt all round.
Best,
Jamie