There is very much that sense. Pound was pretty scathing about it--"tell this to the possum...". But Eliot was always capable of eloquence.

It's the sermon quality that drives me up the wall.

I'll check out your and Mark's versions side by side. I don't think he's seen yours. There's this silly thing a lot of translators get into, me included, a sense of proprietorship. I'm smart enough to keep it to myself most of the time, but it's there.  Mark's a good guy, but I did see it poke out once, when after committing myself to using his translations of Antonio Jose Ponte in the anthology (and I did) I independently translated several other poems myself. We're all fallen creatures, and poets ought to have more than one translator.
-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie McKendrick <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Jan 20, 2012 10:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Chris Hamilton Emery on the elusive nature of a "poetry establishment"

Mark Shafer's book of Huerta translations is an altogether bigger and more meditated undertaking, and what I've read of it looks impressive. Mine's a slender booklet of just nine poems, the first three of which are also included in his. I don't think I was aware of the overlap at the time, or I'd have chosen other poems to translate. (My impression is that for these 3 we're not that close but I don't have the book.)

Though there's a kind of sermonizing quality to it I don't warm to, some passages of the Four Quartets strike me as enduringly powerful and not like anything else - section II of Burnt Norton, III of East Coker and V (at least until it reaches "For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business"), I of The Dry Salvages... I wasn't really meaning to assert a taste by calling it a modernist poem, but just to refer to the way it's critically perceived. Perhaps there is a perception of Eliot having renegued on Modernism - if so it's passed me by.

Best,
Jamie