From: Jamie McKendrick <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Jan 20, 2012 2:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Chris Hamilton Emery on the elusive nature of a "poetry establishment"

Jeremy, I'm not the right person to fill in on Davie - though I have read him on Pound ("his American turn") and Bunting more recently, it's ages since I've looked at Purity of Diction.. It was more a scepticism about the extent of his importance. Since I haven't an argument of my own, that scepticism doesn't carry much weight. You may well be right about Hopkins standing in for Thomas, clearly a bugbear for the Movement - which does have something of a written manifesto in Robert Conquest's introduction to the 1956 anthology New Lines, where he enthusiastically cites Alduous Huxley's ugly rebuke to those whose "bowels loosen for the caterwaulings of Tziganes. And who love to listen to Negroes". (What would Larkin have made of that!)

  We're agreed that Movement orthodoxies don't "map neatly onto any putative present mainstream."
Your sense that "something surely does change in the 50s, both in Britain and America" is in key with Mark's observation - though he puts it a decade earlier:
"I think it's undeniable that a wide rebellion against modernism happened in English language literature (not just poetry) beginning in the 40s, with Eliot in the vanguard. This never happen in Spanish, Italian, or French, and I don't think it happened in German either."

 I don't see Eliot in the vanguard of this rebellion - wouldn't  4 Quartets still be considered a Modernist poem? And as a publisher he took on David Jones's In Parenthesis in 1937, his The Anthemata in 1952, W.S.Graham in 1949 just to mention a couple of poets who must surely be part of a Modernist aesthetic - but you both make a strong point about the distinctive reaction that occurred in Britain and America, and I can't really deny it.

   You could say that in Britain resistence to formal experimentation went back further still. Just comparing the 1st WW poets Owen and Sassoon to, say, Ungaretti, it feels as though they belong to different centuries. Since Ungaretti was friends with Apollinaire he was far more exposed to the sources of Modernism, but it's notable the way the experience of the war encouraged the fragmentation of his lines and conversely with Owen and Sassoon it seemed to cement them to traditional forms.

I have some ideas about the particular tensions in Italian poetry, but would like to hear more about the Spanish. Much of the contemporary Spanish poetry I've been reading seems quite conventional, sometimes even archaic.
Best,
Jamie