---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mattie Taormina <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Subject: [archives] Clarification on Apple Archives at Stanford
To: "Archives & Archivists (A&A) List" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all,

Just a point of clarification.....

It should surprise no one that the media (including our own student
newspaper!) got a part of Apple Archives story wrong. The collection is
def. *not* a secret but the materials are located off-site and, like most
archives, we do not disclose the actual warehouse's address (due to
security and the materials are not browseable). The materials, however, are
fully discoverable via an online finding aid and our online catalog record
for the collection:

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf4t1nb0n3

http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/4084835

We have had this collection since the late 1990s and it has been open for
scholarship since 1998-99. Lots of researchers have gone through our
collection. Why this collection is suddenly being called "secret" is odd,
but there it is in all its discoverable glory for all to see.

We welcome all students, scholars and members of the general public to the
Field Reading Room to research in our collections. Members of the Stanford
community should show a current Stanford I. D. and all non-Stanford users
must show a current photo I.D. All users must register upon their first
visit.

Best,
Mattie