Light intensity is a minimal risk when compared to handling, Timothy Vitale
offers a nice summery here:
http://www.city-gallery.com/learning/guide/light-levels.php

We have a case study on scanning magic lantern slides which may also be of
interest:
<http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/case-study/university-of-bristol-theatre-collection>

Best,
Stephen

--On 12 January 2012 14:03 +0000 Pamela Cranston <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> It would need to be archivally sound - i.e. not too much lux as an
> ordinary scanner blasts light at negatives.
>
> Pam
>
> Sincerely
>
> Pam Cranston
> Photographic Research and Preservation Officer
>
> Department of Special Collections
> Library Annexe
> North Haugh
> St Andrews
> KY16 9WH
> T: 01334-462339
> E: [log in to unmask]
> www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/
>
> The Department of Special Collections of the University Library has
> relocated to new premises on the North Haugh and is now open to readers
> by appointment only. Please contact us on [log in to unmask] or
> 01334-462339 to book a seat in our Reading Room.  The University of St
> Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532

Stephen Gray
Digital Support Officer and
Technical Research Coordinator
Institute of Learning and Research Technology
University of Bristol
8-10 Berkeley Square
Bristol UK
BS8 1HH