Dear colleagues,

The National Archives is working with many partners to ensure that records created before, during and after the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and the Cultural Olympiad are properly managed, permanently preserved, and appropriately shared – wherever these records are held.

We have produced 3 draft guidance notes to support this work. We are seeking feedback on the drafts as part of our review of web resources and online guidance. We aim to publish these as part of our commitment to support the care and development of archival collections and services.

Archives Principles and Practice: an introduction to archives for non-archivists

The purpose of this guide is to support people who own or look after archive material. It will help them to assess and plan for the care and development of collections of all sizes – from a small storage cupboard to the contents of a large storeroom.

This guidance is mainly aimed at people who look after or own archives, but who are not professional archivists and need some simple guidance. It may also be useful to heritage professionals who have archives in their care and need guidance to improve what they can do.  Finally, this note may help archivists in small organisations explain requirements to their colleagues and parent bodies.

Web Archiving Guidance explains what web archiving is and how it can be used to capture information which is published online. It is aimed at people who are new to the concept of web archiving, and those who may have heard about it, but are unsure of potential options and methods available.

It is suitable for archivists, records managers and those with responsibility for archives, records and information. It is also suitable for people who maintain their own websites.

Collection Development toolkit and guidance

These tools and guidance have been developed by The National Archives to help organisations and groups to:

It encourages collection development to ensure that diverse aspects of modern life are represented within archives. It is aimed at both established and new archive collections and services. It may be useful to any organisation keen to develop and safeguard their archives.

The draft guidance is available online here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/projects-and-work/guidance-feedback.htm

Further information on our work to secure a network of distributed collections relation to the 2012 Games and Cultural Olympiad is available online here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/policies/cultural-olympiad.htm

We welcome feedback by 12th February, 5pm.

We hope that this is useful and look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Fleur

Fleur Soper | Collections Knowledge Manager | Archives Sector Development

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to The National Archives. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message
or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.