As a place and an organisation Toynbee Hall has been a centre for key social change and reform for over 125 years. Since its founding as the first purpose-built university settlement in 1884, we have continued in our aim to provide services which empower and improve the lives of local people, alongside developing solutions to social deprivation and exclusion which can be applied nationally. Toynbee Hall has an extensive archive documenting this history, containing a range of organisational records, photographs, ephemera, books, correspondence and campaigning materials.

We have been awarded funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to deliver a learning and outreach project based on the archives. ‘Revealing Social Reform’ will involve a number of activities – the development and production of an exhibition, the creation of learning materials and workshops to engage a range of audiences and communities, and the ongoing preservation and re-organisation of Toynbee Hall’s archive collections.

We are looking for an enthusiastic volunteer who can work with us on a range of tasks: the moving, initial appraisal and sorting of archive materials; researching exhibition content; preparation of materials for reprographics; the development of interpretation and learning materials.

Skills / experience needed:
Attention to detail and a methodical approach
Ability to handle and work with old or fragile materials carefully
An interest in history, archives and the charity sector would be useful
Good organisational and time management skills

Volunteers will gain:
Experience of working in an archive
Experience of contributing to a heritage outreach and learning project
An insight into the history and work of an interesting organisation
Travel expenses in London zones 1-6 and lunch up to £3.50 when volunteering for a whole day

We are looking for volunteers who can work one full or two half days each week (Wednesdays / Fridays), for 3 months starting in mid February. This position is based at: Toynbee Hall, 28 Commercial Street, London E1 6LS (nearest tube: Aldgate East).

To apply, please complete the application form at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ToynbeeHall_VolunteerApplicationForm
Deadline for applications: Monday 30th January 2012. Interviews will be held on 8th and 10th February.

Sinead Wheeler
Archives Learning Development Officer
Toynbee Hall
28 Commercial Street