On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Stephen S Clarke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 During the 1979 Iranian Revolution, students and militants who took over the U.S. Embassy in Tehran turned to local carpet weavers to reassemble classified CIA documents they found that had been shredded. These pages were later published in a set of about 60 volumes called Documents From the U.S. Espionage Den.

Now software can do the job just Google “unshredding”

Back in the early oughts or late 90s a company in Houston had developed a software tool that recreated shredded materials for use in lawsuit in Canada. I'll have to dig to find the name of the company, they also created a version that handled cross-cut shredded documents.

found it the Company was called Church Street and here is an article from 2003 describing what they did

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jack_Brassil/nytimes.pdf

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va