Dear Helen

We telephone our local out of hours emergency doctor service with the result. The levels above/below which prompt the contact are based on those published by the College (http://www.rcpath.org/resources/pdf/g025_outofhoursreporting_nov10.pdf) with some small local changes to a couple of analytes. This has been agreed with our local OOH doctors. We try to give as much information about the patient as possible - previous results, clinical details, address and phone number if we have it. They are very keen to have the phone number! They have been very good at contacting the patient and getting them admitted if necessary and the system works well.
We have an on-call rota of clinical scientist (2) or chemical pathologist (1) who are contacted by the laboratory and they contact the OOH doctors. We each have computers linked to the hospital at home but if we are out then the BMS in the laboratory would contact the OOH doctors.
We always telephone the requesting surgery when they are next open to tell them what has been done.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year to all

Ian

Ian Holbrook