Here's what we do for clinically urgent reports for primary care:
* Communicated by analyst to Duty Biochemist immediately. After 1700 Duty Biochemist is medically qualified.
* Duty Biochemist gather what information is available and makes a decision to 'phone the out of hours primary care organisation or not. This is informed but not bound by the RCPath guidelines.
* If 'phoning the out of hours primary care organisation we talk to a medical practitioner (and don't just leave the report). That 'phone call includes clinical advice on options for management as well as the report.
* The original requester is then 'phoned the next working day. (The out of hours primary care organisation does this as well.)
* Lots of discussion about difficult decisions at the laboratory clinical meetings, and sometimes with GPs.

(I don't think the term "grossly abnormal" helps.)

Happy New Year

Jonathan

On 4 Jan 2012, at 16:24, Smith Helen - Consultant Clinical Biochemist wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> May I ask what your lab. does with grossly abnormal results from primary care that are analysed in the middle of the night?
>
> What analyte results & at what level would your lab. 'phone the out of hours service?
>
> Who 'phones results? BMS/Clinical Scientist/Medical staff/other?
>
> Many thanks for your responses.
>
> Happy New Year
>
> Helen

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk