Is the interference mole per mole in that assay?

I don't think it could happen after ingestion: the gut and liver would metabolise it.

But perhaps it could happen with topical contamination, as with the widely-observed contamination of PoCT glucose sticks by drinks containing glucose.

Have you got the original specimen?

Jonathan

On 19 Jan 2012, at 22:57, David Wright wrote:

> Roche Trig GPO PAP Cat No 11876023 216
>
> Elderly lady, lipid profile previously normal Oct & Nov 11, presents with grossly elevated triglyceride (92.1), otherwise normal profile.
> Serum without evidence of chylomicrons etc. Reaction trace on diluted sample normal. Indices normal (slight haemolysis 136).
> Repeated sample 2 days later, normal (1.55)
>
> Diagnosis - cough
>
> Method (Roche Modular P) indicates glycerol may interfere. Cough meds often contain glycerol. Coincidence? Can anyone confirm such a dramatic effect before I go down to the chemist!
>
> David Wright
> Biochemistry Dept
> Antrim Laboratory

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk