From: Adam Oliver [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 12:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Tax code

The reason I asked the following question was because I was trying to
see how many people would fall for Schelling's old paradox. i.e. if you
ask:

If there were child exemptions in the tax code, such that a standard tax
exemption is allowed for each child, should the exemption be larger for
the rich than for the poor?

most people say no.

But if you ask:

Should the childless poor pay as large a surcharge as the childless
rich?

most people also say no.

The paradox is that you cannot logically reject both statements.

But no-one was interested, so it doesn't matter.