 Dear Ariane,

Last year, the Art of Science Learning convened more than 400 scientists, educators, artists, museum professionals, classroom teachers, business leaders and policymakers from across the US, in regional conferences intended (in part) to develop communities of practice that use the arts to strengthen learning and spark innovation in science, technology, engineering and math.

As a significant element of these conferences, we brought together some 85 researchers to explore many of the questions you raise, with specific respect to the connection between arts-based learning, creativity skills and innovation outcomes.  While the final report is still some months off, we've posted detailed notes, which may be of interest:

http://artofsciencelearning.org/conference-reports/116-education-practice-working-group-notes.html

The headline conclusion of the national team, as reported by Martin Storksdieck, (Director of the Board on Science Education at The National Academies of Science, and chair of our research working group):  when it comes to proving that “arts engagement improves performance in STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering and Math] disciplines…there is the need for a series of more sophisticated and developed quantitative studies than have been conducted to date."

I'll be happy to share the final report when its complete later this year.

Hope this is helpful!

Regards, Harvey

Harvey Seifter
Director and Principal Investigator