Hi Mick,
you may find the following (and references therein) of some use. Please let me know if you need a pdf.
Cheers,
Umberto

Albarella U. 2003. Tanners, tawyers, horn working and the mystery of the missing goat. In P. Murphy & P.Wiltshire (eds). The Environmental Archaeology of Industry, pp.71-86. Oxford: Oxbow Books.