Dear Ruth,
I do not have a reference to suggest, but the characters I have found consistently reliable in separating the genera Bufo and Rana are those described as 'A' and 'D' in Fig.1 (ilium) of the publication by Cox Thomas you refer to. Although the species are different the genera are the same, so this should work on European anura too.
Cheers,
Umberto