From: "Moore, Elizabeth (VMNH)" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] butchering and cuts of meat
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 13:22:10 -0500

I have an assemblage from an 18th century tavern in Virginia and it has a large number of butchered pig and cow bones.  (Not really surprised.)  I am looking for references that have photographs or drawings of bones from various cuts of meat that I can use to help me identify butchered bone fragments.  I have had limited success with Google.  I have a number of long bones that have been sawn into many pieces that are complete in cross-section (chops, steaks, etc) so am particularly interested in those types of bones.  Does anyone have any references to recommend?  Electronically accessed sources would be great because our library is limited and has no paid access to journals but if need be I can just start making interlibrary loan requests.  Thanks.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth A. Moore, PhD

Curator of Archaeology

Virginia Museum of Natural History

21 Starling Avenue

Martinsville, VA  24112

276 634-4176

The past does not repeat itself, but it rhymes.
-Mark Twain