While we're discussing miscellaneous build issues, I've have a problem
building extractor that has me stumped.

cd applications/extractor \
   && (make && make install) >make.log 2>make.log.err || { cat make.log.err; false; }
In file included from extract/src/extractor.c:144:0:
extract/src/define.h:37:0: warning: "VERSION" redefined [enabled by default]
<command-line>:0:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
gfortran: error: libextractor.a: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [extractor] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [/scuba2/software/star/manifests/extractor] Error 1

I don't know where it's looking for libextractor.a but it's alive and
well in applications/extractor/extract/src

Going into the extractor directory and doing a fresh git clean -fdx,
bootstrap and configure makes no difference - the build still fails
with that error.

gfortran: error: libextractor.a: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [extractor] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/scuba2/software/star-build/applications/extractor'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've realized that I've run into this before on earlier Fedora
installations (I'm on 15 right now) and don't remember how I solved it
:-) The cheat is to touch manifests/extractor and continue on the
assumption that I don't need extractor (except sometimes I do...).

This does seem to be Fedora-specific - I don't have this issue on
Ubuntu and my environment is otherwise the same. Both are 64-bit
builds.

Cheers,
 	Andy