Ben,

See inline responses below.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Ben Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear SPMers,
>
> I`m using a 2-sample t-test to comapare fmri data from 2 groups. However,
> the groups differ in mean age. To control for this confounding factor I
> want to include age as a covariate in the spm5 two-sample t-test.
> 1. Is it correct to specify one covariate (age)

It depends on what you want to do. See
http://mumford.fmripower.org/mean_centering/ for a full description of the
issues. One covariate means that both groups will have the same slope,
which can help account for the group difference in age. However, the age
difference will also weaken the group effects because the age covariate
will be collinear with the group terms. Also, you could have no
relationship with age and your measurement and incorrectly attribute group
differences to the age difference. It's a really tough problem to deal with
and there is no ideal solution.

> 2. How would the corresponding t-contrast (controlling for age) look like?
> Is 1 -1 (or -1 1) correct?

Yes. These contrasts would test for group1>group2 and group2>group1,
respectively.