Sent: 15 December 2011 18:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [?? Probable Spam] Recording Everything: Digital Storage as an Enabler of Authoritarian Governments - Brookings Institution

A fascinating article that shows the technological possibility of a world state. If this were to occur, then it would be the rise of a world state, which would end politics. At least this is how the ancient political philosophers saw it. However, they never appreciated technology and its potential.  As a result, the world state has been a utopian dream (as well as a dystopian nightmare) within the minds of modern philosophers.

However, there are a couple of tendencies that will limit this development that need to be considered.

First, we may record everything, but even with super computers can governments extract it, analyze it, understand it and then act on it?

Second, monitoring does not mean control.  Even the most repressive and strict regimes have been unable to keep their people suppressed.  Over time, the political philosophical question emerges about the best way to live and the authoritarian regimes change (perhaps not as fast as one would like (also assumes if not  Hegelian world view at least a cyclical nature of regimes) (still open to debate)

Third, all the recording assumes a benign target. So far, we have not seen any concerted efforts by citizens or subjects to subvert this surveillance. I would imagine a couple of things will develop pretty quickly over the next few years.

1.    Individual devices that create an electromagnetic field to blur someone’s identity from cctv.

2.    Electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attacks either through specific weapons or specific services.  The theoretical specifications are out there and one only needs to create a directed one. (By the way governments are way ahead on this with shielding their hardware in bunkers and other secure locations.

3.    Hactivists corrupting databases and seeking to subvert from within. Look at Bradley Manning and he was not very motivated nor was he trained in what he did. He simply downloaded a lot of files.

4.    Storage is notoriously fragile. How long does this stuff need to be kept? Who will upgrade formats? Governments, especially local, rarely invest in the cutting edge material and those seeking to resist will have an incentive to produce the countermeasures effectively and inexpensively.

5.    The politicians will resist, to some extent, so regimes will realize that if the average citizen is surveilled so are they.

Fourth, from a records management point of view, will this really work?  Getting people to follow a paper based records management system, let alone one as complex and vast as an electronic one envisioned by a panopticon state, suggests a near superhuman records management capacity.  To put it differently, but directly, governments are not designed to be efficient. Who says they are going to be efficient or even effective in the use of these technologies?

Fifth, they do not work. Libya fell despite having such a system. East Germany collapsed and it had a huge informant system.

In any case, a very interesting and thought provoking paper which suggests we do need bigger buckets and better search engines.

Best,

Lawrence