The books he wrote just before and shortly after 'C' all had a tremendous
pace and gusto, despite the focus on 'grot'. Bloodaxe only became his
publishers in his later years, but they have done a multi-volume collected.
He was a fine parodist and metrist too. Most of all, despite all the
pessimism, or maybe as a necessary consequence of it, he was a comic poet,
indeed, at his best as a mordant humorist.