Dear all,

I'm involved in a fairly heated discussion about the use of 'bid books' or 'visual essays' in design practice.

[A bid book/visual essay describes in texts and shows in pictures a specific approach to a particular problem in a situation. It shows potential solutions and provides arguments that support both the process and the anticipated results. A bid book/visual essay is aimed at commissioners to enable a swift and hopefully positive decision about a proposal. They are paid for by a commissioner.]

Personally, I've only seen a very limited number of these visual essays but that might be because I'm working in a very limited corner of graphic design/information design.

My question: In which areas of design are bid books/visual essays used?

[I can see the benefit of these bid books/visual essays in design education: they clearly show how students make progress and provide afterwards the basis for reflection and assessments.] However: are they used anywhere in a commercial design practice?

Kind regards,
Karel van der Waarde