I prefer the use of good quality paper towel for hand drying for several reasons:

1. Take a look at: Snelling AM, Saville T, Stevens D, Beggs CB,Comparative evaluation of the hygienic efficacy of an ultra-rapid hand dryer vs conventional warm air hand dryers, Journal of Applied Microbiology, Sept 2010 Their conclusion was that paper towel was more effective at removing bacteria from the skin in a way that warm air driers could not.

2. If you have a large number of workers using the washroom, say at a break or at the end of the day, then since each person will need about 30 seconds minimum to properly dry their skin, how long with the last persons have to wait. Will they, or will they dry their hands on their overalls instead? In practice, how many users actually keep their hands underneath the drier until the hands are fully dry? (The answer to this one according to my experience is almost no-one!)

3. To prevent the warm air drier drawing in bacteria and other micro-organisms in the washroom air some driers are fitted with an anti-bacterial filter. However, this will need maintaining. How do you check that this is happening? How do you test that it is performing effectively.

4. According to the dermatologists I work with warm air driers can cause dryness and cracking on sensitive skin, particularly in the winter. From “Essentials of Industrial Dermatology (Editors Griffiths and Wilkinson, Blackwell Scientific Publications): “hot air drying – if workers are using a substance which has a tendency to degrease the skin, a hot air drier may aggravate this problem and should only be used in conjunction with an emollient cream to apply after use.”

With regard to the air knife type driers – and there are several manufacturers, not just Dyson – the air coming out of the two slots is apparently at around 400 mph. I have discussed this with several of my dermatologist contacts who have unanimously expressed reservations about the potential effect, particularly if there is frequent use or skin is already damaged. I have yet to see any properly conducted trials that demonstrate that our concerns are not justified = despite asking for them!

Chris

Chris Packham

FRSPH, FInstSMM, MCMI, MIIRSM, MBICSc

EnviroDerm Services

Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN

Tel: +44 1386 832 311 (office), Mobile: +44 7818 035 898

www.enviroderm.co.uk