From: Anne Willis <[log in to unmask]>

>The earliest evidence of Christianity in the Bradford area is the early 4th
century baptistery excavated at the Roman Villa at St Lawrence School in 2003.
 See

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/archaeology-service/recent-archaeological-finds/bradford-on-avon-roman-villa.htm

>The villa seems to have been the centre of a large estate.

yes [or, maybe], as i understand it, there are at least two meanings
historical of the term (before the present one, which means, essentially, "A
grand & luxurious house on the French Riviera belonging to a deposed African
kleptocrat" or American bankster):

1) the ancient Roman sense of a "country estate"

b) the medieval sense of a country "estate," with compactly arranged dwellings
and farm buildings, occasionally within walls (esp. in the 11th and early 12th
cc.), surrounded by farmland, but not necessarily (originally) having a church
(which would make it, in my mind, a "village").

i have sometimes (though rarely) seen the English word "vil" used, though this
is apparently not recognized by the frumpy ole OED.

thus, your Roman era "villa" is quite different from (though perhaps the
institutional forerunner of) the medieval [Latin] _villa_.

> There is currently no further evidence of Christianity in the area until the
foundation of a monastery by Aldhelm in the 7th century.  Stonework in the
Saxon church has been dated to this time.  The monastery may well have
developed into a Minster

o.k., now hold it...

>and then a large parish which approximately covered the area of the Roman
estate.

*that* tears it.

lessee, can i get this straight:

"monastery" --> "minster" --> "parish church"

which one of those words don't i understand?

how about "minster"?

MINSTER, n.

†1. A monastery; a Christian religious house. Obs.

2.
a. The church of a monastery; a church having its origin in a monastic
establishment. More generally: any large or important church, esp. a
collegiate or cathedral church.

so, someone needs to 'splain to me (preferably in words of one syllable) how a
"monastery may well have developed into a Minster."

then, how the [institutionally much more sophisticated?] "monastery/Minster"
(whateverthehell that might mean) morphed into "a large parish"  --with seven
daughters, no less.

by some sort of Marriage of Convenience, perhaps?

and someone here has the cajones to claim that the "French practice" is
difficult to understand?

gimmea brake.

> I can see no reason why Bradford should have conformed to a French model.

how about for "simplicity"?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]