visuals
The fact that no visuals from me have appeared in recent days is due
entirely to the fact that we lost our broadband signal on 1st November and only
got it back this morning, despite frequent efforts to get AOL to help.  Any
list member who knows of good and effective medieval maledictions  suitable
for such occasions, please let me know!!!!

Gordon Plumb

[log in to unmask] writes:

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and  culture

On 12/06/11, Terri Morgan sent:

> Nicholas of Myra  /-of Bari (4th  century) Santa Claus...
> The Nicholas cult began  to spread in the sixth century, reaching Slavic
lands in the eighth century  and western Europe along with the empress
Theophanu in the 970s.

That sentence, from Phyllis Jestice's notice of Nicholas in 2001
<http://tinyurl.com/d38ptcm>, is misleading in isolating Theophanu as a  transmitter
of Nicholas' cult in western Europe.  The latter is well  attested there
from at least the second quarter of the ninth century onward,  over a century
before Theophanu's arrival in 972.

Restricting the  argument merely to the Latin west -- there was of course
also a Greek west  which shared in the common liturgical practices of the
Greek-speaking world  and which thus will have celebrated Nicholas sooner than
did the Latins --,  one may observe that Nicholas' feast on 6. December is
entered in the earlier  ninth-century Marble Calendar of Naples (whose text
will have been composed at  some time between 821 and 841) and in the
likewise earlier ninth-century  martyrology of Florus of Lyon (d. ca. 860).  From
Florus it passed into  the earliest recension of the widely used martyrology
of St. Ado of Vienne  (probably betw. 850 and 860).  And from Ado it passed
into the first  version of the even more widely used martyrology of Usuard
of Saint-Germain  (d. ca. 877), who in his second version included an elogium
drawn from a  Latin-language Passio of Nicholas that clearly was available
at this time in  western Europe.  That elogium was in turn borrowed by Ado
(d. 875) for  the final version of _his_ martyrology, with the result that
both of these  very influential guides to the sanctoral calendar (Ado and
Usuard)  incorporated a brief narrative account of this saint.

Last  year's notice of Nicholas <http://tinyurl.com/836eyd3> had a rather
larger selection of visuals (but the church in Kastoria in which item b is
located should have been identified as St. Nicholas Kasnitzes).  Gordon
Plumb added yet more from an earlier thirteenth-century window at Bourges
<http://tinyurl.com/7teggbj>.  Herewith a few more:

Nicholas  as depicted in a twelfth-century fresco in the patron niche of
the church of  Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis at Kakopetria (Nicosia prefecture) in
the Republic  of Cyprus:
http://tinyurl.com/72ms3vj

Nicholas (at right; at left,  St. Athanasius of Alexandria) as depicted in
the later twelfth-century  frescoes (1164) in the church of St. Panteleimon
at Gorno Nerezi (Skopje  municipality) in the Former Yugoslav Republic of
Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/bumvmhr
Detail view  (Nicholas):
http://tinyurl.com/7mvp47g

Nicholas (at right; at left,  St. Achilles / Achillius) as depicted in the
late twelfth-century frescoes  (ca. 1191) in the church of St. George at
Kurbinovo (Resen municipality) in  the Former Yugoslav Republic of  Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/3kdrvjm
Detail view  (Nicholas):
http://tinyurl.com/6zzhdq5

Nicholas as depicted  in a twelfth- or thirteenth-century fresco in the
church of St. Peter (and  Paul) at Stari Ras (Raška dist.) in  Serbia:
http://tinyurl.com/7kjy66l

Nicholas (lower register) as  depicted in a later thirteenth-century fresco
(either ca. 1263-1270 or  slightly later) in the chapel of St. George in
the church of the Holy Trinity  in the Sopoćani monastery at Sopoćani (Raška
dist.) in  Serbia:
http://tinyurl.com/6lpm895

Nicholas as depicted in the late  thirteenth-century frescoes (ca. 1295) by
the painters Michael Astrapas and  Eutychios in the church of the
Peribleptos (now Sv. Climent Novi) in  Ohrid:
http://tinyurl.com/7ar7xzb
http://tinyurl.com/7r6tfgc
http://tinyurl.com/7bcb5jf

Scenes  from the St. Nicholas cycle as depicted in the earlier
twelfth-century  frescoes (betw. ca. 1311 and ca. 1322) in the church of St. Nicholas
Orphanos  in  Thessaloniki:
http://tinyurl.com/6veqz5c
http://tinyurl.com/74xgadu
http://tinyurl.com/7lnggfe
http://tinyurl.com/bw7r4n8
http://tinyurl.com/cwkvo8h
http://tinyurl.com/czvqzta
http://tinyurl.com/7becpxb
http://tinyurl.com/7r75n56
Nicholas'  badly degraded portrait next to the door below those  frescoes:
http://tinyurl.com/7svfqqb

Nicholas as depicted in the  earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. ca.
1314 and ca. 1320) by the  painters Michael Astrapas and Eutychios in the
church of St. Nicetas the Goth  (Sv. Nikita) at Čučer in today's
Čučer-Sandevo in the Former Yugoslav Republic  of  Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/7kpxc5b
http://tinyurl.com/84p4zmv

Nicholas  as depicted in the earlier sixteenth-century frescoes (1527) by
Theofanis  Strelitzas-Bathas (Theophanes the Cretan) in the katholikon of the
monastery  of St. Nicholas Anapafsas in the Meteora district of Greece's
Trikala  prefecture:
http://tinyurl.com/7sswsf6

Nicholas (lower register) as  depicted in the earlier sixteenth-century
frescoes (1545-1546) by Theofanis  Strelitzas-Bathas (Theophanes the Cretan) in
the katholikon of the  Stavronikita monastery on Mt.  Athos:
http://tinyurl.com/3zsqr27

Best,
John  Dillon

To  join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
to:  [log in to unmask]
To send a message to the list, address it  to:
To leave the list, send the  message: leave medieval-religion
to: [log in to unmask]
In order to  report problems or to contact the list's owners, write  to:
For further information,  visit our web  site:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]