In the previous post, for 'Aeca' read 'Aecae'.

Further visuals for Eleutherius and Anthia:

In Troia's originally late eleventh- and earlier twelfth-century cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (1093-ca. 1120) the flanking figures on the lintel or, _sensu italiano_, architrave over the main portal depict two supposed bishops of Aecae, Eleutherius on the viewer's left and Secundinus on the viewer's right.  In this view, Eleutherius can be seen at the far left (NB: the carvings of the lintel are said to have been re-worked in the sixteenth century):
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/guidoiam/arte/guidoiam/porta_centrale.htm
There's a better view of this realization of E. in the fifth photograph from bottom on this page from ParadoxPlace:
http://tinyurl.com/3xwaak
While we're here, Italia nell'Arte Medievale now has two pages on this cathedral with many good views of its other carvings:
http://www.medioevo.org/artemedievale/Pages/Puglia/Troia.html
http://www.medioevo.org/artemedievale/Pages/Puglia/Troia2.html

Eleutherius as depicted in mosaic on the later thirteenth-century ciborium (1277) in Poreč's Basilica Eufrasiana:
http://tinyurl.com/7lpksns

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]