From: George FERZOCO <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [M-R] thanks and greetings! (was Re: [M-R] photos from Kelsey Museum …)
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 1:21 PM

Not only do we have The Two Marjories, but the list is blessed by the presence of The One Genevra -- thank you for this, and best wishes to you all,

George

--
George FERZOCO

On 24 Dec 2011, at 19:10, Genevra Kornbluth wrote:

Dear all,

I know that many people will be busy with family, but for those taking a computer break-- I have just posted over 200 new images to my online archive (many taken last May, but delayed by complex indexing).

Many of the objects are in the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology in Ann Arbor. I have given that museum its own index page, with the material chronologically divided:
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/AnnArbor.html
Most of the medieval material is of course in the "Byzantine and Islamic" section, including among other things a loaf of early Byzantine Eucharistic bread.
Those of you interested, as I am, in the magical objects on Marjorie Burghart's new site (http://medievalartefacts.shutterfly.com) may want to look at the "pharaonic to Roman" page; rows 5 and 6 have incantation bowls and an inscribed egg shell apparently meant to break a curse.
And the "1st to 4th/5th c." has a glass wine set, the bottle still holding its reed stopper (ever wonder what people used other than cork?) and a Bacchic sarcophagus with particularly nice centaurs.

I have not yet posted much from the Fitzwilliam Museum, but I have updated the Cambridge location page with one object, a magical amulet related to the material mentioned above:
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/UCambridge.html

Material from the Pushkin is gathered on the updated Russia location page:
http://www.KornbluthPhoto/Russia.html
The new images are mostly Byzantine textiles, and also include a mosaic panel from the oratory of John VII in St. Peter's.

I have updated the Berlin location page
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/Berlin.html
with more metalwork, and a pair of wooden arm reliquaries (cf. earlier discussion of a wooden reliquary).

The page for Toledo (Ohio) now includes a 13th c. reliquary base and the Carolingian engraved crystal on it
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/ToledoMuseum.html

And for those of you who teach introductory surveys or are for other reasons interested in earlier material, I have posted a number of objects in the BM and the Louvre requested by a colleague for her intro course. The easiest way to access these is through the links on the period/culture pages:
http:///www.kornbluthPhoto.com/ANE1
for the newly added Standard of Ur, a nicely complete Gudea figure, and the stele with the Code of Hammurabi; and
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/Greek1
for many views of three of the metopes from the Parthenon.

Best wishes for the holidays,
Genevra

home page: http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com
archive indices: http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/archive-1.html
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html