Good morning MCG'ers,

A question has arisen in another forum about how UK museums are
responding to the new Europeana Data Exchange Agreement, and I thought
it would be interesting to open it up for general comment.

For those of you not intimately involved in Europeana, the DEA is
essentially a license permitting Europeana to make metadata about museum
collections available as Linked Open Data. You can view the Agreement,
and read more of the background here
<http://www.europeana-libraries.eu/web/europeana-project/newagreement> .

Discussion of the Agreement, which has taken place largely over the past
18 months, has raised an interesting distinction between bibliographic
metadata and museum object records. Some museums have observed that an
object record is not an objective set of facts about the object, but
rather a subjective/interpretive assertion about it. There has also been
the comment that object metadata is more of a created work than a
bibliographic record, and hence that it is harder to license openly for
distributed reuse (including commercial reuse).

The Collections Trust will shortly be signing the DEA for the 1.7m
object records currently in the Culture Grid
<http://www.culturegrid.org.uk/> , and I would welcome views on this, as
well as comments on how other colleagues are approaching the Agreement.

Finally, we are looking into a funding proposal for the forthcoming
Framework Programme call on Public/Private Partnerships for
Digitisation. We would love to hear from anyone either already involved
in a PPP or interested in getting involved in one who might be
interested in participating in a proposal next June.

With thanks, and best regards,

Nick

Nick Poole

CEO

Collections Trust

020 7942 6080

Correspondence: Collections Trust, WC2 09 Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD

OpenCulture 2012
The Greatest Collections Management Show on Earth!
London, 26th & 27th June 2012
Register online at www.collectionslink.org.uk/events/openculture-2012
<http://www.openculture2011.org.uk>

www.collectionstrust.org.uk <http://www.collectionstrust.org.uk/>

www.collectionslink.org.uk <http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/>

www.culturegrid.org.uk <http://www.culturegrid.org.uk/>

Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust
<http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust>

Company Registration No: 1300565 Registered Charity No: 273984

Registered Office: Collections Trust c/o CAN Mezzanine, 49 - 51 East
Road, Old Street, London N1 6AH

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg