Some ‘Lis-maps’ subscribers may like to know of this promised project publication – if not for themselves then for their ‘clients’/’customers’ (or even their readers).

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Thomas Greenleaf
Sent:
06 December 2011 18:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MapHist] Facsimile Edition of Waldseemuller Maps

I received the following response from John Hessler and Chet Van Duzer after contacting John Hessler at the Library of Congress directly:

Thomas,

It is true that the Library of Congress, in partnership with Levenger Press, is producing a facsimile edition of the 1507 and 1516 World Maps by Martin Waldseemuller. The book, and the portfolio containing the facsimiles, include monograph length introductions to each map and sheet by sheet commentaries by John Hessler and Chet Van Duzer. Both Chet and I are currently "Scholars in Residence" at the John W. Kluge Center at the Library of Congress. This book concentrates on the two world maps and presents new research on the text found on them, on the their geographic sources, and on the printing and making of the woodblocks. The facsimiles of the 1507 and 1516 maps will be reproduced in color and at just slightly smaller than full size (remember these are very large walls maps measuring nearly 8 ft x 4.5 ft when put together). The facsimiles will come in a portfolio in the back of the book so they can be removed and laid out like a wall map should be. We are finishing up the commentaries this month and the book will be available in late summer/early fall 2012.

John Hessler

Kluge Fellow in Residence

John W. Kluge Center

Library of Congress