From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of EDWARDS, Robert (Environment)
Sent: 21 December 2011 11:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: WWII hardend field defences

Hi Andrew,
They're built into the ground. They have four brick pillars, one in each corner, supporting the concrete roof. The steps go down into the structure and the wall is located in front of the steps which lead down into the structure. They're a little deeper than shown in the picture as that particular one is full of water! A good aerial/street view example is available here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=saighton&hl=en&ll=53.161873,-2.845958&spn=0.001147,0.001776&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.566626,29.091797&vpsrc=6&hnear=Saighton,+Cheshire+West+and+Chester,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19
Thanks and best wishes
Rob

Rob Edwards
Historic Environment Records Officer
Cheshire Archaeology Planning Advisory Service

Tel: 01244 973667