Mark,

I keep an open mind and welcome more work!! Especially since it's hard to figure out rates of processes in deeper crust by looking at upper-crustal geology or geophysical images.  But I'll keep the same bet that I made when I was an insecure Asst. Prof in  2004, Geology, Indian Punch Rifts Tibet. It's really the simplest scenario based on Intro to Structural Geology basics. Then recently, there are GPS data indicating that Tibet is rising (which I won't bet on given complexities like lakes drying up resulting in isostatic rebound), and people are shocked because the plateau is supposed to be collapsing.... So many misconceptions. Like extension occurs because something pulls it apart. No. It gets pushed apart by gravity. Vertical compression. Only real tensile structures I'm aware of occur near surface (joints) and in tearing, subducting slabs (due to negative bouyancy). Everywhere else, gravity is pushing rocks toward lower elevations. The result is horizontal extension (strain) but due to vertical compression (stress).

Paul
From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brandon, Mark [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Orogenic collapse

Paul,
Thanks for your comments.
Sounds like you have your money on the option that the surface of Tibet is either steady or rising. At a seminar a year ago at ETH Zurich, Peter Molnar put his money on the option that Tibet is "collapsing". If I remember correctly, he suggested that the modern rate of elevation change is about 1 mm/a. It is bit unfair to focus exclusively on elevation, because GPE is associated with the topography of both the surface and the root. Another unknown is changes in dynamic topography (as related to mantle convection). In any case, the issue seems far from settled. Good thing.... it means that there is more work to be done.
Best,
Mark