From: Metamorphic Studies Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Horst Marschall
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 11:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: inclusions in garnet

On 9 Dec 2011, at 10:21, Jim Eckert wrote:

> Actually, a seemingly 'characteristic' feature of these seems to be anomalous extinction...i.e., not parallel to c.

I assume that the extinction is not parallel to the elongation of the needles? That doesn't necessarily mean that it is not parallel to the c axis of the rutile. It could mean that the exsolution of the rutile is entirely controlled by the host garnet, and the habitus of the lamellae doesn't express their crystallographic orientation. Any insight from the TEM folks on this?

cheers,
Horst