Dear Torsten,

I'm afraid TFCE was never intended to be used with COPEs.  The specific values of H & E are motivated specifically by the behavior of test statistics that (under Ho) are mean 0 and variance 1, and I can't predict how our H&E values will work with your COPE images (depends on how their scaled).  I suppose you could estimate the image-wide standard deviation of the COPE image and scale the image (as a whole, one scalefactor) to unit variance, but it's probably not going to work.  In particular, we know that the variance is going to vary over the image.  If you standardize the variance at each voxel you've just created a zstat image.

In short, I'd recommend sticking with zstats.

-Tom