Sorry for not responding to your Skype message - My phone sometimes silently signs me on and I don't see the messages.  Happy New Year!

-Tom

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Andreas Bartsch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Tom,

thanks –that makes perfect sense!
Cheers,
Andreas

Von: Thomas Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Antworten an: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:59:55 +0000
An: <[log in to unmask]>
Betreff: Re: [FSL] randomise question

Hi Andreas,

This is a beta option to support multivariate data in randomise.  We've tested it internally but it has never been used 'in anger'.

With the --permuteBlocks option specified the blocks -e option define multivariate observations and then all permutation operations will keep those sets of observations together and in the same order.  As with traditional multivariate analyses, there is no support for any missing data (i.e. the exchangeability blocks specified with the -e option must be perfectly balanced... same number of observations in each multivariate observation.)

The motivation was for a 2-group longitudinal design where there were exactly K>2 measures for each subject, and n1 and n2 subjects in each group (n1 & n2 not necessarily equal), and the interest was in comparing whether the temporal profile of the 2 groups was identical.  The test for this effect is a F-test, comprised of either K t contrasts, testing whether the profile is different.

E.g. for K=3, n1=2, n2=3 the exchangeability block file and design matrix and the would be

1    1 0 0 0 0 0
1    0 1 0 0 0 0
1    0 0 1 0 0 0
2    1 0 0 0 0 0
2    0 1 0 0 0 0
2    0 0 1 0 0 0
3    0 0 0 1 0 0
3    0 0 0 0 1 0
3    0 0 0 0 0 1
4    0 0 0 1 0 0
4    0 0 0 0 1 0
4    0 0 0 0 0 1
5    0 0 0 1 0 0
5    0 0 0 0 1 0
5    0 0 0 0 0 1

and the F-contrast would be
    -1  0  0  1  0  0
     0 -1  0  0  1  0
     0  0 -1  0  0  1

With the --permuteBlocks option, there are (n1+n2)-choose-n1 possible permutations; here 5-choose-3 = 5! / 2!3! = 20.  Note that I haven't included the usual set of (here 5) subject indicator EV's.  The reason is that including them won't change the estimates of any of the 3 COPEs that are part of the F-test, and amount they would reduce the residual sums of squares would be identical for every permutation, and thus won't alter permutation inferences.

If anyone wants to give it a spin I'd be interested to see how they fare.

-Tom