Hi - looks good - the more RAM the better (16 is good for most things) and I assume you will have at least 4+ cores.
AMD vs Intel (and specific choice of chip and clock speed) generally seems to come down to a bang-per-buck tradeoff.
Note that some people are having problems with the Ubuntu distribution because of FSLView support, so other OS flavours may be easier to setup.
Cheers.

On 21 Dec 2011, at 11:41, Sophie Lafaille wrote:

> Dear FSLers, so I'm finally biting the bullet and purchasing a new computer to run FSL, minc etc...
>
> on the list is 64bit, 12-16G RAM, giant hard drive(1T+), fast video card, ethernet, latest Ubuntu etc...
>
> does chip matter? amd vs. intel?
>
> anything else I should know about before I order it tomorrow?
>
> any and all input is welcome please.
>
> thanks, Sophie
>

> --
> Sophie Josee Lafaille, M.Sc.
> Research Coordinator
> Law and Mental Health Program
> Specialty Clinics, 4th Floor, RM 440
> Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
> 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
> M5T 1R8
>
> Office: 416-535-8501 Ext. 6278

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)