Hi Heather,

According to your message, you might want to do the two group separately.  Also it depends on your hypothesis.

For example: two group: controls and patients
What's your interest?

1) Use age as covarite (nuisance variable) if you're not interested in developmental changes.

2) http://mumford.fmripower.org/mean_centering/

Best, Yingying

>>> Heather Collins <[log in to unmask]> 12/20/2011 9:50 AM >>>
Dear FSL experts,

I am running TBSS on 2 groups of subjects.  The mean ages are not different between the groups.  However, when any diffusion metric is plotted over age, the groups show different slopes: one increases with age whereas the other decreases with age. (It looks like an X)

I have combed through the archives and cannot find information about this kind of situation.

1) Should age be used as a covarite in this situation?

2)  What does it mean for age to be demeaned within each group versus demeaning both groups using the grand mean?  Which should I use in this situation?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Cheers,

--Heather