It really seems like you'd have to add a "simple" covariate based on the
scan acquisition--- but in your case it sounds like all of your patients
would be in group 1... and all of your controls would be in group2....  so
there would be no obvious way to disambiguate the effect of scanner from
the effect of patient group.

However as you pointed since your basic question is .... are FA changes
different between controls and patient population... you've already
indicated in your question the answer is yes..... all my patients scanner
with higher TR/TEs have higher FA values...

I would think it would perhaps depend on the # of patients in your two
groups... but perhaps scanning at least 5-10 controls on the "new" scanner
might allow you to take into account the effects of scanner in your
model...

--
David A Gutman, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics