Thanks, Yingying.

The two groups are controls and patients and we are interested in diffusion
metrics associated with the condition and not due to developmental changes
(age).

What does demeaning age within groups (for controls and patients
separately) tell us and what would demeaning all subjects (patients and
controls) with the grand mean tell us?

Many thanks,

--Heather