Amy

From: Evidence based health (EBH)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Willard, Grace
Sent: 21 December 2011 03:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Breast tumours

Hello all,

I am going to speak from three foci.  One as a registered nurse who has
taken care of patients who are diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer.
Two, as a nurse scientist who studies all aspects of breast cancer, as well
as other areas of healthcare concern. And three, and probably most
importantly to me, right now, as a person with a recurrence of advanced
stage breast cancer.  And, interestingly, both diagnoses were found
serendipitously - not because I didn't have mammograms done, but because I
had "interim" tests done for another screening, when the cancerous cells
were "seen".

I have many comments about this thread, but have received some interest in a
publication related to this, so am not going to bore you with ALL my
thoughts and info; besides this response would be way tooo long by then.

Primarily, my comment relates to all three of these roles:  it isn't so much
the discovery of the breast cancer nodes that is as important as the
importance of recognizing that each of those discovered nodes very likely
has yet to be undiscovered cells, and those cells grow to be discovered -
and that is when we are diagnosed, treated, and scared. It is akin to the
"just noticeable difference" that we discuss in some measurement methods.
We have to look in different ways, and harder for those cells - or other
markers - that are not yet seen but that could be predictors.

We absolutely need more specific and precise methods of discovery of all
kinds of cancer cells.  FYI for those of you that may not know, there is a
large scale study going on right now in the US called "The Sister Study".
The study examines number of variables that would help identify people who
have a higher probability of "getting" cancer; hopefully, some markers may
be identified from this project.  The study follows a large cohort of women
who are sisters of women who have been diagnosed with BC.   This has been
ongoing for some time now, and we may see some preliminary results soon.

Klim, I strongly agree - we need to garner the support for erring on the
side of over testing, (as opposed to over diagnosis).

Folks, let's keep talking about this issue from both a scientific approach
as well as a patient-centered approach.

Thanks for the thread, and for listening.

Everyone, have a wonderful Holiday season.

Grace

//Dr. W.

In the process of knowledge discovery, what is known about a concept must be
qualified to ensure understanding before that concept can be used for making
judgements or conclusions. Thus, concepts must be examined for their
characteristics and usage, with the goals of common understanding,
consistent communication and theory development in mind (Rodgers & Knafl,
2000).

Senior Research Scientist

Academic Center for Evidence-Based Practice

School of Nursing

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio

210-567-5879

www.isrn.net

Plan to attend:

SUMMER INSTITUTE ON EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE

July 19-21, 2012;

Pre-Conferences:  July 18, 2012

at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, San Antonio, TX

IMPROVEMENT SCIENCE SUMMIT

July 17-18, 2012

at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, San Antonio, TX

Knowledge workers spend up to 2.5 hours each day looking for information...

but find what they are looking for only 40% of the time.

KS Taylor, 2002