Humpback Whale Field Intensive Program at MCERC in Puerto Rico:

1 week “Shorty” programs

The Marine and Coastal Ecology Research Center is inviting interested students to participate in the second season for 7 day field intensive focused on cetacean behavioral ecology in Puerto Rico.

Join our research team studying humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) wintering off Puerto Rico. Space is limited to 2 students per 7 day session for boat and land based research platforms during the field season from January

2012-May 2012. We are offering this "shorty" format (by request!) to fill the need for less expensive programs fitting into work and class schedules.

 This field intensive training program is well suited for students (undergraduate and graduate) interested in cetacean behavioral ecology, and conservation. No experience is necessary, just a desire to learn and experience field work as part of our team. The program culminates in a certificate acknowledging training including:

     Research experience in vessel and land based data collection and recording of

            humpback whale behaviors

    Photographic techniques in the filed

    Photo identification of individual humpbacks and dolphins

    Theodolite tracking and computer interface

    Passive acoustic sampling and analysis

    Assessing environmental factors

    Permit requirements for marine mammal research involving endangered species

    An overview of ecology on this island bordered by the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic

        Ocean.

Fees support this research project and associated lectures. Participants are directly involved in data collection and analysis for PhD dissertation related research of humpbacks whale biology and ecology including whale occupancy, habitat use, and movement off Puerto Rico as well as an examination of reaction to human activity near shore (including boats, divers, surfers, and aircraft.   $800.00 per student includes travel between field stations, training program in scientific methods, room and board at the project base station, reference materials related to the project, including field methods, and a certificate of completion. Dr. Bernd Würsig will join us and giving several lectures in February during passive acoustic data collection of humpback whale songs. Fees do not include travel to and from Ponce, Puerto Rico and compulsory insurance. Students landing in Ponce, Puerto Rico will be picked up at the airport and brought to the base station in Guayanilla.

MCERC has provided documentation of study for students working with their advisers at universities resulting in college credit. Please send us an e-mail in advance of your application if you are considering this option.

To apply, simply fill out the application, the photo release form, liability release form, and proprietary data form. Send them to this e-mail address (Please note the general application indicates a $900.00 fee..this fee is for other MCERC shorty programs. The cost for this program is $800.00 USD). Forms may be obtained from our website (www.Marine-Eco.org) or sending an e-mail with a request for an application packet.

Once we receive your documents, we will look to see if the dates you requested are filled. Please be sure to put in a first, second , and third choice of dates to avoid missing out on a spot this season. Once dates are matched, you will be notified via e-mail.and have two weeks to mail a check to MCERC in Puerto Rico to hold your spot. If funds are not received, the spot will be filled from our waiting list.

Website: www.Marine-Eco.org

 Please be sure to indicate first, second, and third choice for dates from the following 2012 schedule:

Session 1 Jan 15-21

Session 2 Jan 22-Jan 28

Session 3 Jan 29- Feb 04

Session 4 Feb 05-Feb 12

Session 5 Feb 12- Feb 18

Session 6 Feb 19-25

Session 7 Feb 26-March3

Session 8 March 4- 10

Session 9 March 11-March 17

Session 10 March 18-24

There is no deadline for applications; however, spaces typically fill very

quickly. Spots are secured with full, non-refundable payment  received with

the completed application. Please email for details and mailing information.

See you in the tropics!

--
}-wh^ale>   }-wh^ale>   }-wh^ale>   }-wh^ale>   }-wh^ale>   }-wh^ale>

Mithriel M. MacKay
Ph.D. Candidate
Marine Mammal Research Program
Department of Marine Biology
Texas A&M University, Galveston
(830) 688-9878

and

Director of Research and Education
Marine and Coastal Ecology Research Center
HC02 6382 Guayanilla, PR
     and
PO Box 63435 Pipe Creek, Texas 78063
www.Marine-Eco.org