From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ibrahim Hasan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 22 December 2011 09:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Data Protection and Rights of Criminals

Hi Mark

Interesting thoughts.

Many thanks for pointing out that I am indeed single S.

On 22 Dec 2011, at 09:18, Mark van Harmelen wrote:

For readers looking for DPA stuff, please look away now, I suspect that this is all shamefully off topic

When I looked at this link (thanks Ibrahim) I saw another page in the sidebar, 'Jailed rioters named and shamed' [1] not quite the same thing but somehow it feels like there is an imbalance.

As for anyone carrying a gun and shooting people, I'm not even going to start, I'll just go into an off topic rant about things like 'The court was told builder Hassan had been a man of good character but was attracted by the gangster lifestyle, driving a BMW 4x4 car and having a gun.'

All food for thought, and my own off topic thought, keep Hassan in jail for as long as possible and then if he is a foreign national kick him out, even to a country where his own life may be in danger. Hmm, dangerous precedent. Now where is my John Birch Society membership card again?

But Ibrahim 'single s' Hasan :) asks

> DPA/privacy rights trump the rights of a victim's family. Discuss.

Do the family have any rights here? Someone commits a crime, and is sentenced by the courts. Once the sentence is discharged any debt to society has been repaid. I'm not a lawyer, but five years after conviction the terms of the Rehabilitation of Criminal Offenders Act click in. I don't know if that act covers murder, but we believe in sentences being proportionate, repaying societal debt, and rehabilitation.

Never mind that one Magistrate I knew steadfastly maintained that jailing people did no good whatsoever in terms of changing behaviour.

All very interesting, and I for one would welcome a broader discussion than just DPA aspects (sorry moderators to mess up the list).

cheers, mark