As distasteful as this whole situation is it doesn't avoid the fact that the guilty party has legal rights despite what he has been convicted of.

If we as a society decide that legal protections (of whatever kind) only apply to innocent parties then I'm afraid we are all going to hell in a the proverbial hand cart (although obviously because of DP I couldn't confirm the names of who was on the hand cart at its departure :o) ).

That said I can see the benefit of a limited disclosure to the victim's family for no other reason than to satisfy their need to gain 'closure' on the whole incident and be satisfied that justice has been done but how that is managed is a whole other kettle of fish!

Lee

Lee Gardiner
Data Protection & Freedom of Information Officer

Operational Risk Management
Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service
Service Headquarters
Garstang Road