My point is that it is possible, even likely, that the wines grown in medieval England were of some variety which could thrive in cold weather. The mini ice age may have been point too much for them and the wine growing withered after one or two exceptionally harsh years. The idea that England's climate in the medieval times was warmer than today because of wine growing, is dubious or at least unreliable. Yet it is touted as a proof of the warmer than today days in the middle ages. This confuses lots of public to believe that it is proven by wines that medieval was warmer than today.
 Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 18:51:20 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Often Repeated Story of Medieval Wine Growing in England as a "proof" of warmer times
To: [log in to unmask]

    Hello All,

    I think you will find that is why they produced mead more than wine
    per se. Near to me in North Oxfordshire (actually less than a mile
    away) there was until recently a vineyard but because the EU forbid
    any expansion of the number of vines allowed (to control over
    production and more likely to protect the French producers) they had
    to close down. The vines have since been grubbed up. However the
    wine produced was apparently very nice despite the winters and the
    wet summers. I can only think it was down to a particular variety
    that allowed them to produce wine. Yet there is also plenty of
    historical evidence to suggest that wine was produced even as far
    North as Yorkshire. Fountains Abbey I believe had vines growing
    there.

    Anyway what we grow today is treated with chemicals to keep the
    moulds at bay and they are probably wrapped in fleece to protect
    them in the winter so it is probably proof of hardiness of the vines
    to our particular weather. (We don't have climate here. Only
    weather. :) )

    Kev C