I think you will find that BRE has the answers to your questions.

From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nik Reynolds
Sent: 13 December 2011 11:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tuesday Query

Dear All,

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but heregoes:

How relevant is the stack effect withmodern houses?  Modern houses are to be built to be 'air tight' which reduces the drafts  etc. and also to have significant thicknesses of insulation installed within the ground floor slab design in accordance with the Code for Sustainable Building and changes to Building Regulations Part L.  I appreciate with houses pre 2002 where insulation was not present below concrete ground floor slabs, and the drafty floor boards of the pre 1970's the stack effect does play a significant risk with the migration of ground gases, but does it still have the potential to significantly draw ground gases?

Have there been any studies to date on trial properties (properties built either specifically for trials or using fallow properties - unsold properties/properties in cleared pathfinder areas) to see what the potential for migration of groundgases into properties is?

Hope this isn't a daft question, but it has been a discussion we had this morning.

Regards
Nik

Mr N Reynolds

BSc(Hons), MSc, CGeol, CSci, FGS, MIEnvSc, EurGeol

Senior Environmental Geologist

This e-mail requires acknowledgement to ensure the sender that the correct recipient has received all information requested/necessary.

*Coopers, Park House, Sandpiper Court, Chester Business Park, Chester, CH4 9QU
(: (01244) 684910                      (: Direct Dial No. (01244) 684919

7: (01244) 684911

Web:  http://www.coopers.co.uk

View Nik Reynolds's profile on LinkedIn

Private and Confidential

This message may contain private and confidential Information. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform us and delete the message immediately. Coopers believe that this email and any attachments are free of any virus or other defect which may adversely affect a computer, however it is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not affect your systems and Coopers do not accept any responsibility from any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.

Privileged and confidential information and/or copyright material may be contained in this e-mail. The information and material is intended for the use of the intended addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee you may not copy or deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner. To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy all copies.

Coopers promote a sustainable environment.  Please only print this email if necessary.  Where possible please store and record this e-mail electronically rather than on paper.