RE: DSM 5

Dear David,

Thank you for being prepared to do the work to add a critical voice.  Over the past 20 years neo-liberals have legitimated a series of 'syndromes,' using them as an evidentiary base to justify Industrial, Welfare and Family Law "reforms" which created a massive pool of cheap labour for jobs without rights or security here in Australia. 'Syndromes' have also been cited post-hoc to silence those who were disadvantaged or harmed by the legislative changes and the coercive labour strategies they contained. Many of these 'syndromes' are based on dodgy science, or simply presented as part of a capitalist, paternalistic, aggressive agenda without any attempt at justification (absolute power).
Please address the mumpsimus knows as "Parental Alienation Syndrome" in your paper. It has been cited for inclusion in the DSM-V and used to legitimate violence against women and children in the United States (where it originated) and in Australia, where it was transplanted to serve John Howard' legislative agenda. The wealthy lobbyists who supported him have been trying to get "Parental Alienation Syndrome" into the DSM for a number of years.

Here is an excellent paper written against PAS.

Have also included my chapter on its effects in Australia. Thank you for including PAS in your critique. Am sure you have seen the following article:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/disorders-diagnosed-to-suit-any-condition-20111203-1ocd4.html

which touches on the gendered bias, violence and otherisation implicit in many of the new 'syndromes.'

Dr. Katie Thomas
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research
PO Box 855
WEST PERTH 6872
Western Australia http://www.ichr.uwa.edu.au
Email: [log in to unmask]
Latest Book: Human Life Matters: The Ecology of Sustainable Human Living vs. The Rule of the Barbarians now available at www.amazon.com.

Mailing Address: Suite 4, 147 Canning Hwy,
East Fremantle WA 6158