From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Israel Sanchez
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] The stupid/naive question

Hello folks,

After a discussion with a colleague a question aroused regarding precipitants in crystallisation conditions. I must confess that I do not know if it is a really naive question or just a stupid one (guess the second option thought...), anyhow there we go:

Imagine you have crystallisation condition that is more or less successful but not so great, that is, you are looking for some optimisation. Your condition let say is 5% PEG 20K. Assuming a world where  relationships are linear (and I know this is not true, by the way...), I would say that I can change 5%-PEG20K by 50%-PEG2K.
So the question is, does anyone know if someone has invest some time in discovering this kind of relationships between main precipitants used in macromolecular crystallography?

The reason for this kind of weird question is that currently one of our cryo-protection protocol really damage our crystals and I was wondering if the same crystal could grow in a cryo-condition or something closer to it.

Thank you for investing some time in such a awkward question!!!

--
 Israel Sanchez Fernandez PhD
Ramakrishnan-lab

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
your system.