Opinions? You want opinions? On this mailing list? This one ought to
keep us going until the new year.

As for Fedora v. Ubuntu, my opinion is that Fedora is better for a
centrally managed system, whereas Ubuntu is perhaps more convenient for
a single owner-operator.

Fedora uses the RPM system for software distribution. and it's easy to
install a lot of pre-packaged libraries and applications, including Coot
and Pymol. If you do stereo, installation of the nVidia proprietary
drivers is easy enough using the RPMFusion repository. The
"akmod-nvidia" module rebuilds the driver automatically for a kernel
upgrade.

But as for robustness? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I can't use that word in
the same sentence as Fedora. It is Red Hat's "bleeding edge" product,
where they introduce all the latest, greatest bugs. Fedora 15 and 16 do
not have a graphical application for managing system services, because
they just switched to systemctl and do not have all the details worked
out yet.

A current issue in the Linux community is desktops. Fedora switched from
Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 in their previous release (15). G3 has a whole bushel
of bugs and some nonintuitive "features." Ubuntu switched from Gnome to
their own "Unity" desktop, which has sent some users fleeing to the Mint
distribution.

I am just now contemplating a switch in the opposite direction, from
Fedora to Scientific Linux 6. Like CENTOS, SL is a repackaging based on
the Red Hat Enterprise source code, and is FREE. It has backing from
some of the big physics labs, including CERN and Fermilab.

The price of stability is that you don't get all the latest stuff. In
SL6.1, the current version of Firefox is 3.6.24, and the image rendering
is SLOW. I am wondering if I want to go back that far in time.

Also, SL does not have their own bugzilla. If you encounter a bug, they
tell you to take it to RedHat. You can imagine the finger-pointing
circles that is going to lead to.

On 12/21/2011 03:29 PM, Paul Kraft wrote:
> hello,
> I'm considering upgrading my linux software from CENTOS5 to perhaps
> Fedora or UBUNTO. Does anyone have an opinion about the best linux
> version to upgrade to for not only CCP4 but also for general
> robustness and for the best standard apps..Thanks
> Paul
> Dr. Paul Kraft
> Structural Biologist
> cell 586-596-2770
> email: [log in to unmask]
> email: [log in to unmask]
>

> This communication and any attachments contain information which is
> confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use
> of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s)
> please note that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying or use
> of this communication or the information in it or in any attachments
> is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this
> communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the email
> and destroy any copies of it.
>

> E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free,
> as information could be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost,
> destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. We do not
> accept liability for any such matters or their consequences. Anyone
> who communicates with us by e-mail is taken to accept the risks in
> doing so.

All Things Serve the Beam
                                David J. Schuller
                                modern man in a post-modern world