Komodo
                    OpenLab Logo

Photograph of the Tecla ShieldAfter a very successful beta trial we are incredibly proud to announce that the Tecla Shield is now available for pre-sale from our brand new store.

Over the past two months, a few committed women and men have worked tirelessly to test the limits of the Tecla Access app and the Tecla Shield. These brave beta testers from Toronto and Vancouver have become the first in the world to tweet, email, text and call their friends and family on their Android-powered smartphones, using a single switch, a switch array or the driving controls on their powered wheelchairs.

Using the Tecla Access app in combination with the Tecla Shield, switch and powered wheelchair users had access to the same standard user interfaces and applications available to any other Android user. No 'special' segregated apps with limited functionality, just the plain old smartphone with all its potential to enhance productivity, entertainment and communication. "Just installed for & typed this without physically touching my phone! " tweeted Dave, one of our beta testers, early on in the trial. Testers were also able to use the browser, listen to internet radio, read e-books, call support workers for help when their wheelchair stopped responding and coordinate pick-up and drop-off times with public transit or family members. Some even got in trouble for texting at school... oops! In all, the beta trial of Tecla was completed successfully, allowing us to smooth out the wrinkles but above all, add new and exciting features coming soon to an Android device near you!

The success of the Tecla trial would have been impossible without the support of the Ontario Centres of Excellence or the sponsorship of Rogers Communications Inc. The EADL Clinics at GF Strong and the Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital were also instrumental in supporting installation of the Tecla Shield units on some of our testers' powered wheelchairs, so kudos to all of you!

In order to facilitate installation, use and integration of the Tecla Shield with your assistive devices and Android-powered smartphones, you will be able to select from a range of accessories and support plans to fit your needs and expertise. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or require additional information. We will be happy to answer all your questions. Happy holiday shopping!

---
*About Komodo OpenLab*
Komodo is a not-just-for-profit corporation that commercializes open and inclusive technologies that facilitate the daily lives of people with disabilities and also benefit everybody else.

Web: http://komodoopenlab.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/komodoopenlab
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Komodo-OpenLab/142797755786411

*About Tecla*
Tecla is a set of open software and hardware tools that facilitate access to electronic devices for people with mobility impairments.

Web: http://scyp.idrc.ocad.ca/projects/tekla
Twitter: http://twitter.com/teclaproject